Sunday 1 January 2012

New year? New day's resolution!

I saw 2012 in at a party where I watched a lady of 104 dancing the twist! She was so full of life, so full of love, and having such a good time! At the actual chimes I stepped out into the night air with Boots, and watched the fireworks over the city. We had resolved to do this, to have a precious moment together, rather than joining in the "jollity" as one second ticks over into another. Somehow the significance of that simple tick is built up to be more than the sum of its parts. We feel we ought to embrace the calender turning as a portent of change for ourselves.

Some change can be painful. The numb and raw grief of a bereavement, a leave taking, a marriage ending, an uncertain future: Where will I be this time next year? Will I be ok? Will I manage?.. all heightened at this time of year, as all around it seems everyone is celebrating, and making plans for their future.

Have you made a "New Year's resolution"? Made big plans to change your world?

Here is a simpler, and more achievable way: Make a "New Day's resolution". Make a decision to make a change for only 24 hours. For 24 hours make the effort to give up the fags, have more baths, read a book, go for a walk, At the end of the 24 hours let it go! You can then choose to make the same resolution, or, if you prefer, make a different one. This way you are setting yourself up to succeed.If you like the status quo you can resolve to remain the same: If it aint broke don't fix it! Once you have established you can achieve the little things you can then work on the bigger things: talk to your GP, get some counselling, dye your hair purple.....

Just a little over 29952 hours (or five years ago) I made a resolution to step into the sunshine, and kiss someone. I liked it so much I kept on doing it! We have celebrated with a bottle of bubbly, written the date and "5 years <3" on the cork, and put it in our cork vase. When I am 90 I shall enjoy looking through the corks! Who knows, I may even celebrate by doing the twist!

So your homework is simple: make a new day's resolution, step into the sunshine, and swim out to meet it! x

No comments:

Post a Comment