Friday 30 December 2011

Why wait until New Year?

At this time of year everyone is fretting about what to do about "NYE". Don't you just hate acronyms like that! What should I wear? Hair up or down? But I wore that last time... Does my bum look big in this?" Sound familiar? Have you ever received an invitation like this one?

New Years Eve Party
Your best red dress is invited
(But obviously a new one)
Bring a human with a small bottom
RSVP

No, me neither. It took me far too long to realise that people invited me because they felt my presence would add something to the party, in short they invited me because they wanted me to be there. You have been invited because people want you to be there.

Out at sea you can, apparently see for five miles on a clear day. Here on land we can't see as far, too much in the way, with tall buildings, trees, people etc. We often set off with good intentions of attaining our goal but get distracted on the way (I once went to buy some shoes to go with a silk dress and came back with a pet rabbit and some cowboy boots). 

At New Year we often make resolutions because we feel we ought. Lose weight, stop smoking, get in shape, spend less.... Sometimes it is the intent that is lacking, are you ready to take that first step on the journey yet? Sometimes it is the timing that is wrong, wait until you are ready to commit to yourself, rather than half heartedly making a commitment because the calender says you should! Also what about the "Do less" resolutions? You know, doing less of the things that you feel you "ought to do" but which actually sap your energy and crush your spirit..... Work smarter, not harder, and see what you can do a little less of..... dusting is a good place to start!

And what about the kissing? As the Chimes of New Year sound out people kiss each other! People you would normally shake hands with get all jolly and snoggy...I once got kissed by a binman....!

Why wait until New Year?

If you want to kiss....kiss! Dance in the rain, wear comfy shoes... take a risk!

In the darkness of my dark days five years ago, just as the New Year sounded I received a text. 

"This year life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile."

I decided to take charge, to take risks, and to learn to smile again. I now have a blue bird of happiness and "Never regret anything that makes you smile" tattooed on my left arm. Believe me, I have done a whoooooooole lot of smiling!

So, your homework:

As the chimes of New Year sound, do exactly what you want to! Make a resolution if you want, when you want, why you want! In 2012 make time for yourself, and find your smile.

New Years Eve Party
You are invited
(Because we want you there)
Bring a smile
RSVP


Happy New Year x

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too Clarice. We have both come a long way in the last few years but you are SO much better at putting it into words. Thank you. May you be blessed with smiles for many, many more years to come and thank you for sharing them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about smiles is the twinkles (definately NOT wrinkles) they leave on your face! Thank you xxxx

    ReplyDelete