Wednesday 7 December 2011

Camel toes and Santa

Well what a funny day I have had!

I got up early and rather than having my usual breakfast which I share with the dog I had a quick snack in the kitchen, whilst he played in the living room. When I went to get him to put him in the kitchen when I went out I discovered that he had "killed" my sheepskin boots, pulling out the insole and ripping the side of them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not a good start to the day!

This evening I revisited something from my childhood. When I was about 8 we lived next to a Swedish Mission for Seamen, and they used to celebrate the Festival of Light, singing a beautiful song, sharing gingerbread and a beautiful girl led a procession bearing a  wreath on her head lit with candles. Today was the Ikea modern version, somewhat sanitised with a  wreath made of tinsel and pipe cleaner candles on the head of a ten year old. Still sweet, but not quite the memory I was looking for.

As we went into Ikea there were two real reindeer in a paddock. What surprised me most was that their feet were very like camel feet with the very wide pads. Their coats were long and shaggy, but their antlers appeared to be covered in a soft  velvet like fur. Santa was there too, he said he had me in his little black book (He obviously knows me so well)!

What struck me most about the evening is that whilst the evening did not match the magic of the enchantment I remember as a child the real magic was spending the evening in good company, with great food, and I shall remember how the Santa (who had a real beard) managed to make my 18 yr old daughter blush!

Memories are what we make them, and there is always room for new ones.

Your homework tonight: Think of something you can do, however tiny, to create a lovely happy memory to make you smile! It may be googling reindeer feet, it may be looking out the old Christmas baubles, or buying a new one for someone you love. Buy yourself one, you know you deserve one x

No comments:

Post a Comment